Browse By

Why it’s time to hang up the Che Guevara T-Shirts

If there is one bad thing about college life, it’s hipsters. These filthy bohemian beatniks are one of the few groups that can earn nearly universal disgust from any group at or off campus, and they mostly bring that upon themselves through their attitudes. They seen particularly adept at getting me to dislike them, today drawing my ire upon seeing a herd of them wearing the all too familiar Che Guevara T-shirts. Leave it to the hipsters to idolize a war criminal whom likely would have had them placed against a wall and shot just as soon as give them the time of day.
che-guevara-communismLet’s ignore the deliciously ironic fact that a communist revolutionary has a t-shirt line whose entire existence hinges on modern capitalism for a moment. Hell, normally something like Che Guevara t-shirts would give me great joy, seeing capitalism top communism once again. No, this disgust has everything to do with a bunch of unwashed trust-fund-dependent junkies glorifying one of the twentieth centuries greatest monsters. Wearing Che Guevara T-shirts should be as disgusting to any thinking person as if someone whore a T-shirt of Reinhard Heydrich, and I’ll tell you why.
Che_Quotes_by_zenjicometFor those who do not know, or simply don’t want to click over to his Wikipedia page or do proper research, Che Guevara was a communist revolutionary from Argentina who is primarily famous for helping the Castro brothers over the Cuban government. Of course, even the hipsters probably know that, and likely adore him for it since he was a ‘rebel’. The more knowledgeable like myself however know he was an unrepentant butcher who, more often than not, killed merely for the sake of killing, to the point of gleefully calling for nuclear war.
Che-Guevara-t-shirtsHe more than anyone was responsible for wrecking Cuba, and as his campaigns in Congo and Bolivia prove, he was just as bloodthirsty, greedy and bigoted as the ‘imperialists’ he claimed to oppose. His supporters aside, historians rightfully view him as an egotistical executioner that left millions dead in his wake.
1380065_10153353027275515_1403183891_nSo as you can tell, I am certainly not a fan of Che Guevara, nor Che Guevara T-Shirts. So when I see a bunch of hipsters touting shirts bearing his likeness irks me quite a bit. Even more so since half of them likely don’t even know who he is. It’s something I’ve always found to be a huge pet peeve of mine, and something that makes my stomach churn to no end. It’s a stupid fad, and one that carries all the good taste of someone wearing shirt bearing the image of Joe Stalin, Chairman Mao or Reinhard Heydrich, and should be viewed just as negatively by day-to-day society.
Che-Guevara-Shirt1So please, put that Che Guevara T-Shirt away, or better yet, pitch it – in doing so, you’ll have done humanity more good than Che Guevara ever did.

66 thoughts on “Why it’s time to hang up the Che Guevara T-Shirts”

1. The Illusive One says:

Another rant post Korssgaard? These are starting to get old. Anyway toy be honest, I had no idea who that guy was. I had seen his picture around, (various places including on the cover of the first Just Cause video game, make of that what you will), but I had no idea who he actualy was. Thank you for the info.

2. Korsgaard says:

IO, I’ll have you know, these ‘rant post’ are quite popular with readers, besides, I have some skill at them. Besides, it’s hard not to get sent off into an angry rant seeing a bunch of idiots glorify a war criminal.

Also, the Just Cause video game cover referances the image, but is not the Che Guevara image itself.

In any case, I’m glad I was able to inform you.

1. Owen Johnson says:

War criminal? Are we completely forgetting that the communist regime in Che helped create STOPPED racism in the area, provided education for all, this rising literacy in the state. He pushed education in Cuba, along with Fidel, and the result today is a country in which education is taken very seriously, more so than in the US or UK. Oh, and also the colossal industrial boom the regime caused which created jobs for thousands. I’m not a communist, in fact, I vote conservative here in the UK, it annoyes me when people don’t do their research

This post was just in bad taste if im going to be honest. It’s a biased account written in support of capitalism, with nonreference to how many people capitalist governments have killed. I am not condoling communism, im just saying do your research before making an unjustified rant because a few kids are wearing a t-shirt which miraculously makes your blood boil.

1. C U Later says:

Owen Johnson, is that satire or retarded? It can be a fine line with you smelly hippies.

2. who cares says:

man really? that bastard as you said was a medic, he helped more people than you gonna help i all your raged live, yeah he did war, he fought for freedom, why do you think castro kicked him from cuba? please learn before you speak.

1. JB says:

u learn before u speak idiot, everything he says about che the murderer is true!!!

3. Ron says:

However…. It seems like you were in highschool when you wrote this. Grow some class man! And stop lying.

3. Jack says:

“The more knowledgeable like myself”…

It’s good that you think so because I seriously doubt the academic world, or anybody other than your cadre of the equally shallow and intellectually infirm, would agree. You provided no scholarly sources (other than a reference to a Wikipedia article which *does not* corroborate your assessment of Che) and in addition to your statements being factually incorrect, you provide little proof of anything other than that you are a product of the propagandized American educational system.

I’d be willing to bet that you get down on your knees every Sunday to pay lip service to your God, too.

PS: Bravo for your service to the country. Just know that if you had gotten killed, your death would have been as trite and meaningless to the imperial American government as those countless victims of capitalism in South America, the Middle East, Mexico…

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

While I do admit, I am disappointed that you feel such fervent offense at my article, I would like to thank you for pointing out the lack of sources – I am as we speak updating it with sseveral scholarly sources whom, though it would no doubt upset you further, do in fact agree with my assessment of Che Guevara as a murdering racist thug.

In the mean time, please read the following texts:
      Exposing the Real Che Guevara by Humberto Fontova
      Che’s Afterlife: The Legacy of an Image by Michael Casey
      The Black Book of Communism by Jean-Louis Panne
      Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson
      Che Guevara, from Communist Firebrand to Capitalist Brand by Alvaro Vargas Llosa

In addition, the several quotations from the pictures I used here are all actual quotes from Che himself – if you feel myself or any academic claiming him to be a bigoted, backward and bloodthirsty killer to be biased by ‘capitalist imperialist dogma’, take the man’s own words as proof. We don’t need to paint the man as a killer, he was more than capable of it on his own.

As to your personal attacks, I do want to point out:
      a) As an admitted nonthiest (which I have mentioned several places here on this site) I do not pay homage to any god, lip service or otherwise. Even if I did, I fail to see why that would be relevant here.
      b) Had I died in service to my country, it would have been with the knowledge I died so others may live free, same as any other soldier who fights beneath the American flag. At the very least, that’s more than Che Guevara could comfort himself with when he was executed by the Bolivians.

1. kajukenbo says:

Lol Che hated capitalism because he knew the United States would stop at nothing to spread it. The U.S. destroyed Cuba and wanted to make it a colony many times.Just so you know many blacks faught along side che. America wants him to look bad because he saw through the evils of capitalism and American imperialism, just look at what U.S. policy did to Mexico’s economy. Now shut up you arrogant asshole.

1. john says:

eat shit asshole, long live america and may many american bikers kick your ass and shit all over your remains

4. Giles says:

Bravo Korsgaard. Only after we truely show a man for what he really is, do we realize how far we must climb to show that humanity is not lost.

P.S. Jack, as a Soldier, with many comrads who died. You should be respectful to them. They died for ungreatful people. Soldiers serve everyone, before they serve anyone (A.K.A. Government.)

P.S.S. learn more about people before you make yourself look ignorant.

5. Antonio De la torre says:

Do you even know what you are saying??

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

I would assume so, given the above article and plenty of research, yes.

1. Jesus Antonio says:

Research by Wikipedia so its not accurate

6. John says:

Where is the evidence of all of the things you are saying? Do you actually want to convince someone that che killed black people?? If you can give a valid piece of evidence for all this maybe i will start believing you, but at the moment you sound really stupid and ignorant.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

If I may ask, did you notice any of the sources within the article, including one to Che’s stated bigotry and racist views of non-white minorities? This in addition to the pictures with the Che Guevara quotes (including several of his bigoted statements towards Africans and Mexicans specifically) – I don’t need to say it when Che’s own words do the job for me.

That said, if you want additional sources, I’ll defer you to the same books I told Jack to read a few comments above your own:
      Exposing the Real Che Guevara by Humberto Fontova
      Che’s Afterlife: The Legacy of an Image by Michael Casey
      The Black Book of Communism by Jean-Louis Panne
      Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson

1. Ron says:

You are lame as hell Korsgaard. Get over yourself

2. Comrade Matt says:

Che wrote the anti-black passages while he was still traveling on his motorcycle. He was young amd it was the first time seeing non-whites in his entire life. He evn went on to apoplogize at the end of his journey amd claimed he was a changed man. Later throughout his life, Che fought alongisde black guerillas in Africa.

I love how your sources are all biased capitalist newspapers. Either way, I agree when Che said he wanted to nuke the US. Maybe then we wouldn’t have stupid assholes like uou polluting the web with your American propaganda. The true villain was Reagan and all the anti-communists in America who hate less-fortunate people.

7. Comrade says:

You can suck my d*ck, capitalistic bitch! Communism will live forever and the jewish attempts to control the world just won`t happen. CIA have killed Che, but he continues to live in our souls!

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

Communism is as dead as Che Guevara’s rotting corpse, and everyone outside of North Korea knows it by know. As for Che living on in your soul, you certainly have his sexism, homophobia and antisemitism, so there is that.

8. Leo says:

Please, tell us where the Che wrote the quotes on the second pic, or when and where he said it. I can’t recognise the second part of the upper left and the one at the upper right. I see you didn’t write anything about Batista’s government, you make it seem as M26-7 just wanted to get the control of Cuba, and that’s not true. They wanted to free Cuba from a fascist government that was bullying the whole island, you can read about it online or in any book if you don’t trust me. He never killed just for the sake of doing it, even opponents troops can tell you that more than some times he (past of let) em go his prisoneers (a big mistake, because they just gave informations about him). This is just a not objective article. You didn’t verify your sourches, and didn’t study his life enough. Please, do it, and read his diaries.
    Just two more things: 1. As there are many books against Che, there are many tgat support him. And the ones that are against him just don’t get to you any valid argument 2. Don’t believe too much to what a fascist/american say about a communist if he doesn’t prove it to you. There is a obvious hate between them. Waiting your answer

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

If you’re asking about the quotes that I think you are, they came from his early diaries – yes, I’ve read them – both of these coming from his time in Mexico, expressing contempt for the Mestico population of the country, and his lifelong racism towards blacks is well-documented, to the point it was a contributing factor to his failures in Africa. Among Che’s many disgusting qualities, the fact he was an open bigot was one of his biggest sins.

Now, the reason I did not write about Batista here was because it has nothing to do with the topic of the article, ie, the hero worship of the mass murdering Marxist thug Che Guevara, largely by people that know next to nothing about the man. That said, the Batista government was a corrupt kleptocracy that abused both Cuba and the Cuban people, and rightfully overthrown. I may not agree with what the Castros have done with the place, but I’ll certainly shed no tears that Batista didn’t retain power.

Moving on to your next point, Che’s bloodlust and merciless treatment of both his enemies and non-combatant civilians is also well-known and documented, and Guevara admits to it many times in his writings. This was actually the leading cause of the eventual split between the Castros and Guevara – the Castros are nothing if not pragmatic, and Guevara being violent, vicious and bloodthirsty to the point of fanaticism, keeping him around wasn’t constructive to the shaky hold Castro had on Cuba in the early years. Of course, who can blame him? Che would have gleefully seen Cuba turned into pavement in a nuclear war on the off chance that it would kill millions of Americans and other capitalists. See the “rivers of blood” quote from above.

As for my sources, what I could not cite – because I can’t do a hyperlink to a book – I listed the sources to another commented who asked about them. All of them are academically recognized books about Guevara, including the Jon Lee Anderson tome often held to be the definitive text about Che’s life. I will list them here yet again:
      Exposing the Real Che Guevara by Humberto Fontova
      Che’s Afterlife: The Legacy of an Image by Michael Casey
      The Black Book of Communism by Jean-Louis Panne
      Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson

This has nothing to so with capitalist/American views – even many leftist academics and historians are quick to condemn Che Guevara, and with good reason. The man was an unrepentant butcher, who while gleefully causing the deaths of thousands or hoping for the deaths of thousands more, was himself a craven, who contrary to myth, died begging for his own life.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and if you have any more, please feel free to ask.

9. Leo says:

Okay, I will take a look to them 🙂 but, how can you be so sure about what people say about him? I mean, like when you say he died begging for his life. That’s what who hate him says, but not who loves him-and we can’t know who is right.
    From what I know, the reasons of his failure in Congo were mainly the fact that the popolation wasn’t organized, and there was a lot of argues inside the popolation itself. And, don’t forget that he found against him British forces and African mercenaries. It just wasn’t the right place, and Castro sent him there. His “racism”, as you call it, was just based on the fact that the south-american population, enslaved by colonialists, passed days drinking alcool trying to forget their situation (that’s why at the beginning of Castro’s government in Cuba he made illegal the selling of alcool and tobacco – but he obviously recognised his mistake and went back to the normality). Remember: the way he called some his black companions, “negrito” for example, is a common use in sourh american language – you can ask to everyone living there. Nothing racist. As we use to say “hey nigga!” To a black friend. If you got other not-only-told sources, but for example from his diaries (about his racism i mean), tell me! Be objective when you have to interpretate something.
    About his bloodlust, yeah, it surely was true, but not pointlessly – a Revolution was what Cuba needed in that period, and intimidating the enemy was the only way he got to do it. Please, don’t believe too much to Cuba exiliates that just tell things.. Look for written documents. Then we can really argue.
    And obviously, I don’t really base on good things said about him, but mainly in his diaries.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

For the most part, because the sources I rely upon are widely respected academic accounts about the man, that come as close as possible to highlighting who Che Guevara really was. His dying words – the begging for his life – was reported by the Bolivian soldiers who captured and executed him. It’s as close to the horses mouth as we’ll ever get, certainly more so than the apocryphal accounts of brave last words his advocates claim.

The biggest source for Guevara’s failures in Africa can be rooted in his racism though – many of the Congolese viewed him as just another imperialist hoping to use the locals to their own ideological ends. He was warned of such a possibility by several sympathetic African heads of state, who felt he would be viewed as a “Tarzan figure”. His ignorance of local customs, language and even geography also cost him dearly – among other things, it nearly got him killed by dysentery.

Whether his bigotry was rooted in cultural views or not is irrelevant, that would be true if he were from Latin America or the American South. They shaped his views and his actions, and that’s what matters.

As for sources aside from his diaries – where trust me, its less ‘questionable honorifics’ and more ‘blatantly viewed anyone with darker skin than his as an inherent inferior’ -the books I mentioned above all refer to it, as do testimonies from those who knew him, the Congolese especially.

The need for change does not justify massacres, especially since it does far more damage to the credibility of one’s own cause than it damages enemy morale. This was a MAJOR reason for the falling out between Guevara and Castro – Fidel realized he’d never win the hearts and minds of Cuba as long as Che planned to carry out purges that would make Stalin proud.

It’s hardly just the Cuban exiles who view him as such – in Cuba today, there are those in the government who feel that he is a monster, and that the regime should cease glorifying his actions. Odds are good once both Castros kick the bucket, we’ll see efforts to idolize him cease.

10. Leo says:

Well, lets discuss one point per comment, or I’ll really get crazy.
    You can’t really say that if a source is widely respected it is right. If it really was like this, everything that any widely respected source says would be the truth – and most of the times academic sources are respected just because of ignorance. We must look for WRITTEN things that prove it, everyone could say anything speaking but you will never be able to verify it. About his dying words, by knowing him, his diaries and how he was, it’s really hard to think he died begging for his life. And if you really read his diaries and any biography (like Anderson’s one, the best accurate and objective at the moment), you can’t do not agree with me about this.
    So, do you agree to the fact that we mustn’t rely on spoken words if we want to have a serious discussion?
    If not, it would be likely arguing about God’s existance, and say it exists just ’cause the Pope says it. An academic and widely respected source.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

While technically true, you have to apply Occam’s Razor at some point – if dozens of well-respected academics have written books hundreds, and on occasion, thousands of pages long, that are well-cited, well-sourced, and use an enormous amount of first-hand sources who knew Guevara, or were effected by him, while the chance that they aren’t right exists, that chance is far slimmer than the grim reality here: That for Che Guevara, the man simply can’t measure up to the myth.

As for his begging for his life seeming out of character, plenty of historical sadists proved to be cowards when their own time came. Hitler shot himself. Saddam Hussein hid in a hole. Heck, Batista fled Cuba. The idea that Guevara could die begging for his life after having killed so many who had done the same is not only possible, but likely given historical precedent for other figures like him – plus again, the only people who DID see him die all claim he begged. While one can be skeptical, one can entirely dismiss the claims he had some brave last words – most, including the famous “shoot, for you only kill a man” did not circulate until months after his death, in reaction to his manner of death.

1. Leo says:

But this way of reasoning have no sense! Starting from the fact that all their sources are people that was and is against Guevara, as I told you there also are plenty of books by people that fought and lived with him that doesn’t say anything against him. You should decide which of the two sides (pro and against) is right, but we are no one to say it – so it just isn’t a good prove. And I will say it again: A SPOKEN SOURCE HAS NO VALUE IF NOT SUPPORTED BY HISTORICAL SOURCES (like diaries, photos, videos, journals). If you can’t convince me that a spoken source is more valuable than objective fats, we can continue arguing – if not, it’s over. And as i already told you, accademics aren’t always right, I see you know philosophy so you should understand that something isn’t right just coz someone important said it. So you could ask, why should they tell shit about Guevara? Simple! To make Cuba’s revolution even more evil than it already became with Castro, and to try to make everyone hate communism – thing that they already do well by saying fake things about communism ideals.
        Uh, just noticed at least two wrong things in your pics:
        1. Guevara did never murder gays. Although some cuban exiles say so (don’t you say?), there aren’t historical evidences. The “jail” Guevara founded was used to punish who did anything wrong, also in his army, and political prisoneers – not gays or something else. Che isn’t CASTRO. And yeah, castro did this – but after Che’s departure from Cuba.
        2. The quote about the Negro and the European is just wrong, who made the pic modified the last part. He doesn’t say the European is organized and intelligent, but that he has a different way of living that he keept from where he was in Europe, more forward-looking. And by the way, you couldn’t use this as a prove of his racism, that 25-years old boy wasn’t already Che, it just was Ernesto Guevara – as he said, after his trip around south America he completely changed.
        Really bro, check quotes, it’s important to verify they are real.

If you say that everyone who seen Guevara dieing, you didn’t read Anderson’s book, you can find informations about what they say he said in the last pages. You should read books before quoting it in the sources 🙂
        And there too your way of reasoning is wrong. Hitler, Hussein and Batista are completely different from Guevara. They didn’t lead a revolution, they organized it – they never fought with their army in the real battles. And lemme say it, they had a different story form Guevara’s one 🙂 you should read a biography about him, if you didn’t already do – Anderson’s one is good.

1. Mary says:

I agree, Che is the greatest , pure humanist! Some people just want to bring him down.
          He is a myrtyr ..

2. Mary says:

He is a myrtyr .. He fought for blacks in Congo, with all black Cubans , and they call him racist?

11. Leo says:

Here you are a piece from what Guevara said at the XIX US Assembly: “How can you define freedom keeper a country that kills his sons and discriminates them every day basing on their skin colour, that lets be free who kills black people and protects them [the killers], while punishing the black population that just wants his freedom rights to be respected?”
    And you call this racism?
    I re-translated this in English from my italian version of Anderson book, page 881-882. There could be some different words in the ufficial english version but the meaning remains the same.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

I’d say he was using an enemy’s misdeeds against them, not that he himself was any paragon of racial virtue. Again, history has given us plenty of examples of figures who are willing to be the proverbial pot calling the kettle black – ranging from the Nazis using Stalins purges for propaganda while committing the Holocaust, to modern Russia claiming the USA is a warmongering oppressive nation while invading Ukraine and ruled by a dictator. Facts matter little in the matter of propaganda or ideological grandstanding.

1. Leo says:

Yeah, but while we have no proves of his racism, we have something that could prove he wasn’t racist. And remember that is bodyguard was black (he was named Pombo, if i remember well), and he never said Guevara have ever had anythiing against him. If there are other SERIOUS proves about the fact that he was racist, I will be happy to read them ^-^
        Never cite Congo again, as you said Anderson’s book seems to be the definitive book about Guevara – and in this book he explains really well why he lost that war.

2. Leo says:

Uh, a little offtopic. Communism didn’t really kill 100 millions of people – that’s just the wrong number spreaded by the black book of communism. In this 100 millions they say that victims of Cinese famine
        where victims of communism just ’cause they was under Communist dictatorship – not really a good way of reasoning, I guess… And there aren’t many other parts of the bookthat exagerates with numbers. If you really wanna read something about the bad things of communism read objective books, not right-sided books written for right-sided people.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

That famine was the result of Communism however – Mao’s so-called Great Leap Forward created an artificial famine in some of the world’s most productive farmland by a combination of forcing people with no experience to farm, forcing communal farming, and executing the “bourgeois” farmers. Plus, much like with Stalin’s misdeeds in the Holodomor, the food that WAS grown was often either wasted or redistributed – in both cases, you had people dying of starvation as they worked fields full of crops.

As for the 100 million figure, its actually not a hard number to reach, even using rough estimates – you’re easily more than halfway there just thanks to Stalin and Mao alone, much less the dozens of smaller, but no less brutal regimes under Pol Pot, the Kim regime in North Korea, Ceaușescu in Romania and dozens of others, not even counting war deaths:
          -35-75 million under Mao in the People’s Republic of China (Great Leap Forward, One Child Policy, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Chinese Famine)
          -20-40 million under the Stalinist USSR (The Great Purge, the Holodomor, Population Relocations, Forced Industrialization)
          -1-3 million under the Khmer Rougue in Cambodia
          -3-10 million under North Korea (exact figures unknown, estimated to be higher)
          -1-3 million each under Derg controlled Ethiopia, Romania, East Germany, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Angola, Mozambique and Yugoslavia.

Mind you, I’m only counting actions by recognized governments, and only figures that topped one million dead. All of that without counting war deaths, or political crackdowns like the Hungarian Revolt of 1956, you can very easily get to 100 million dead by Communism.

Now, to the credit of Cuba, its been downright tame by Communist standards – around 73,000 killed, most in the 1960s. Of course, I imagine that’s because Cuba prefers to let them flee to Florida.

12. Caitlin says:

“In general they didn’t try to communicate with us, as is typical of the subjugated Araucanian race who maintain a deep mistrust of the white man who in the past has brought them so much misfortune and now continues to exploit them.” – The Mororcycle Diaries

These are not the words of a racist.

1. Leo says:

Caitlin understood It all 🙂 lets wait Sean To finally read something by/about Guevara too…….

2. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

“The Mexicans are a rabble of Illiterate Indians”
      “The black is indolent and a dreamer; spending his meager wage on frivolity or drink – the European has a tradition of work and saving, which has pursued him as far as this corner of America and drives him to advance himself, even independently of his own individual aspirations.”
      “The blacks, those examples of the African race who have maintained their racial purity thanks to their lack of an affinity with bathing.”

All of those quotes are ALSO from the Motorcycle Diaries.

1. Leo says:

Do I have to tell you 100 more times that those diares doesn’t prove anything, coz they were written BEFORE his political and moral grown?

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

Indeed you have. I was just pointing out in Caitlin’s case, that there is plenty in the same work she quoted that DOES provide evidence he was racist. If she may use The Motorcycle Diaries to highlight one quote that wasn’t racist, I think its more than fair that I be allowed to highlight three that are.

1. Leo says:

So, are you finally admitting that you can’t prove Che’s racism? Che, Not Ernesto Guevara. So i mean during/after cuban revolution

2. Leo says:

And you by the way didn’t give me any prove of his racism, and didn’t Say anything about Pombo and what Anderson says about Congo.

13. Pingback: Moonbattery » Che Guevara Portrait Vandalized
  14. Trackback: Moonbattery » Che Guevara Portrait Vandalized
  15. Sam says:

Firstly I’d like to say fuck you to whatever uneducated cunt who has the gaul to say something bad about one of the greatest human beings to ever walk this planet. Che Guevara is not only a martyr but the most isparational individual I’ve ever had the pleasure of learning from. Anyone who thinks anything else, eat shit. Not even Martin Luther or ghandi actually fought for the freedom of all those in poverty so if you think Che is a criminal then those two are evil

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

I’d say I am depressed over your lack of proper education on the background of your chosen hero, but considering you seem to barely even even a tenuous grasp of grammar and spelling, I suppose it should be expected.

As for the difference between Che Guevara and Gandhi or Martin Luther (did you mean the man behind the Protestant reformation or Martin Luther King Jr? Either way, my point will be the same) I’d say the difference is very obvious. Guevara was a thug whose efforts earned him an unmarked grave in the Bolivian countryside. Gandhi, Martin Luther and Martin Luther King Jr changed the world, have nations revere them and their work, and did so without firing a single shot, merely by the power of their convictions.

16. Beth says:

Educated? Where? You should stop throwing that around and claiming everyone else needs to educate themselves. I could not get past the first paragraph as you have proven to be quite the bigot yourself. Stereotyping and belittleing a group of people for their beliefs regardless of fact or fiction which you have failed to prove due to the childish and uneducated remarks and then pointing fingers at another for the same attrocities. Hypocrite. Resorting to belittling and name calling is a poor form of writing, shows a lack of education (I do not care how strongly and clearly emotionally you feel), and does nothing to help educate others or even effectively prove a point. This type of writing is what separates junk internet crap from reputable well versed well educated And thought provoking writers. I do not care where your sources came from but you have reported on them poorly.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

When people idolize a man they know nothing about like Che Guevara, what option do I have but to tell them to better educate themselves? If they did even an ounce of research on the man, maybe they’d understand why those of us who do know who he is find their glorification of Guevara so repugnant.

As for a lack of respect toward others well, if you can tell me why I owe a group of ill-informed college brats who idolize a mass murdering thug like Guevara my respect, I’m all ears. Personally, I think I have them the proper amount of scorn due to them.

17. bilbo baggins says:

For some reason i can just tell your an American, its pretty obvious you’ve done little to know research in the topic other the google images. Your english skills are horrible and your education system should be ashamed. Che Guevara fought for what he believed in, its obvious that the only thing you’d be fighting for is no more Che t-shirts. You might say it’s your right as an American to speak freely, but it’s my right as an Australian to tell you to Get Fucked..

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

The fact I am an American has no impact on the topic, save the pot shots you took at my perceived lack of education about Guevara. Regarding that perception, once again, I defer you to the recommended reading list I bring up every time I’m challenged on my sources:
      Exposing the Real Che Guevara by Humberto Fontova
      Che’s Afterlife: The Legacy of an Image by Michael Casey
      The Black Book of Communism by Jean-Louis Panne
      Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson
      As for me being unwilling to fight for my beliefs, I am a veteran of the US Army, and I actually served with a handful of Aussies for a time. Rest assured, each of them would return your sentiments. I’ll be content to call you a keyboard warrior.

18. Dean says:

Another I should be respected cause I was a vet “soldier”. Calling someone a keyboard warrior when you clearly don’t tell these things to the people who wear these shirts anything is hypocritical, and seeing as how I’m sure you’ve never personally read any of these books and just googled something to prove your point like “Che was a bad man” or something simple. Our country lets people believe whatever they want and have their own views. Instead of critiquing everyone else’s because they don’t match yours try to just get the other side and if you still disagree leave it at that. Don’t fight for a flag, fight for what it represents and to us that stands for freedom. Which gives those hipsters you have an issue with the freedom to wear whatever the fuck they want.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

For starters, I actually do tell off folks I see in person wearing Che Guevara shirts at any given opportunity. My entire initial inspiration behind authoring this article was that there was an idiot at my college wearing one of these shirts, and when I asked him if he knew who Che Guevara was, and he said he just bought it at a Rise Against concert because it looked cool.

Second, I didn’t simply google those books, I own two of them, and have read all five of them. If there was an overriding theme to be found – save perhaps the Black Book of Communism, which indicts the whole of Communist ideology – it’s that Che Guevara WAS a bad man, to put it mildly.

Now as far as your attempt to wrap yourself in the First Amendment, while I certainly agree that folks have the freedom to say or believe what they like about Che Guevara, you seem to ignore that those same first amendment freedoms give me the right to tell them they’re wrong and that it glorifies a man who would have gleefully seen them killed and loathed the very freedoms they claim to cherish. People are absolutely free to wear these shirts, and I am just as free to tell them they’re imbeciles for doing so.

19. Dean says:

No one hides behind the constitution or bill of rights. Those are undeniable, inalianable rights given to ever citizen in our country. You just need to grow up and learn that the country doesn’t always have the same view, and there are far worst things being done than a group of college kids wearing a shirt depicting a man that you believe to be evil. History is a two sided coin, who do you think the afghans will be wearing or waiving pictures of down the line when we leave their lands. To us we liberated them, to them we were foreign invaders pushing them around bringing nothing but death.

This is coming from a 12 year US recon marine.

20. Adrian says:

You posted this article in 2011 and 3 years after you keep on replaying answers…thats Che legacy thats living today thats REAL FREEDOM !!! .

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

I reply because this is my website, expressing my opinions, and I respond to every comment left, so its anybody’s legacy, it would be MINE. Something I wrote moved you to the point you took time out of your day to say something about it. For me on the other hand, its just Monday morning.

21. budgie says:

U make me sick.U want to be a capitalist lackey, fine but pls leave ur propaganda off the net. u said that communism killed 100 milion ppl.Its Capitalism didnt kill us yet give it a couple 50 or so years and maybe ur son or daughter will be working in a factory for 4oo$ per month 12 hours a day. THATS WORSE THAN DEATH. el Che saw what u couldnt that the only way to end this was with rebellion. to overthrow the government. He was a hero killed by the CIA becouse he was a threat to the upper classes.U are right about the collage kid though.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

Your information is as deplorable as your grammar.

22. Leonardo Matos says:

Forget about it, Korsgaard. You’re wasting your time arguing with this bunch of ignorants. It’s funny how they keep asking you for concrete sources of what you are saying, but they don’t do the same when it comes to the opposite. If they do a little of research, even on Google, they’ll see who that fellow really was. So, I say it again, don’t waste your time man.

1. Sean CW Korsgaard says:

Eh, fighting the good fight is worth it at least. Gotta be reaching them somehow to have them this spooked, right?

23. Blackhammer says:

Theres a lot of things wrong here, we got books and info on Che,don’t you guys know that media and books are a matter of fact biased, America wanted to put foot everywhere, whereas they are the real war criminals in today’s world, theres no terrorists against America, every thing was created by them. John f. Kennedy was assassinated by his own country, coz he knew too much, too much about the illuminati, he was gonna expose them until he got shot, same with John Lennon, Micheal Jackson, Princess Diana, and so many more people lost there lives ..but anyways thats my opinion, if you have something ill to say to me , say it, nothing can harm me in this world, but God…

24. nothing says:

All of your viewpoints are based off of those who wanted him dead. Che’s enemies had the last words about him.

25. Maximus says:

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that you are certainly on to something. That being said, I’m not sure you’re seeing the whole picture.

For one, it’s true Che committed many attrocities in his crusade. But what nation hasn’t? I defy you to name one similar movement that didn’t require bloodshed. The Vietnam war is a prime example of this. In our attempt to deal with the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese army, we slaughtered hundreds of innocent people. And these were the “good guys”, the GI’s who are supposed to be spreading liberty and equality. So Che’s acts were, though horrible, not the first time such things were committed with good intentions.

Also, look at the good that Che did. He increased the number of people allowed to use the land for farming. In this way more jobs were created, and the number of people using that land for their own benefit decreased. He was critical in the training of soldiers to repel the bay of pigs invasion. Lastly, and in my opinion this is the best act he preformed, he convinced the Cuban government to build more schools and teach the poor how to read and write. This caused the literacy rate to increase by 21%. So yes, he definitely did some bad, but he also did a whole lot of good.

I agree with you that the people wearing these tees without knowing who he was are idiots. I personally view Che in a positive way, but I think it’s stupid and ignorant of people to like him and wear his merchandise only for the fact that he was a “rebel”.

In conclusion, I believe that you have made several good points, but I suggest you do a little more research into his entire history, not just the crimes he committed. He certainly made a lot of mistakes, but he also did a lot of good, and he is often revered in Cuba as a symbol of sacrifice and revolutionary virtues.

*By the way, I’m currently exhausted, so I apologize if my writing is disjointed/otherwise flawed.

26. James Novak says:

This is not information. This is a set of unsupported claims and bogus accusations. If killing an enemy in a field of war is murder to you then yes, he was a murderer, but this would also make the entire US military murderers – something I doubt you would agree with. Calling him a war criminal is also strange, as he was part of the trials set up to sentence War criminals, in which all civilians were spared death sentences. As far as racism goes, Guevara actually heavily opposed apartheid and even spoke out against the racism that took place in America, the ‘land of the free’. Also, he fought in the Congo with revolutionaries there, which I doubt he would have chose to do if he was so “racist”. Lastly, calling him homophobic for not speaking out against the UMAP camps (set up as replacement for mandatory military service and shut down by Fidel Castro after he saw the abuse that occurred in them) is unfair too, as he wasn’t even in the country at the time, and we can’t forget that homophobia was extremely common at this time.
    Overall, Che Guevara helped to free Cuba from the grips of American corporations who took a lot of wealth from Cuba in the form of exports like sugar and cigars, which held them back as a nation. The USA has prevented Cuba’s development as a nation by controlling it’s land before the revolution, and even blockading it after the revolution. Therefore, he was inevitably demonised by America – after all they couldn’t make money in Cuba any more. And so it would seem that you sir, along with most of the American population, are a victim of political dogmatism.
    Thanks

27. Mary says:

Che is his own man, neither America nor Soviet side. He is pure idealist, incorruptible , walk away from power, left privilege and wealth.
    He lived, and died by his conviction . He is a humanist..He is not a racist… He fought for blacks in Congo, with most black Cubans, against all white South Africa mercenaries .

28. Facu says:

Who wrote this shit? The Senator Mc Carthy in the 50’s?

29. Person says:

This is a terrible rant. It is very biased and one-sided. He may not have been perfect, but neither are you. besides, he did lots of good for lots of people, who are you to go and try and ruin that. The world needs optimists, not pessimists like you. Look past the faults and into the success.

30. Tim says:

Sean, obviously there are some seriously ill informed individuals on here. I have read several articles and a few books that support what you stated. I guess they just like the T Shirt to much to actually do a little reading.